View Single Post
Old 02-19-2020, 11:55 AM

Default Questions About Instructors and Learning

I've been learning from "the University of YouTube," for the most part. Lots of good links here, I've used JustinGuitar, Marty Music, Paul Davids, pretty much the usual suspects I suppose. I've split my time between strumming, strum-picking (not quite flat picking but a bit more than strumming), and fingerpicking. I've started using Mark Hanson's book.

I've started with a local instructor, and although it's only been a short while, it feels like he's just giving me stuff I can replicate with what I've been doing. How long should one stick with a teacher before realizing that the match isn't a good one?

I feel like the areas I'm concentrating on are good and reinforce each other. The fingerpicking is good for precision, the strumming for faster chord changes, and the strum picking for a little of both. My teacher seems to agree, but mostly what he's doing is giving me a new song to strum, which I can kind of pick out on my own. I'm not sure the reasons he's picking for giving me the songs he's picking.

I guess my frustration is he doesn't seem to have a coherent strategy to actually help me learn guitar. What are some questions I can ask him to try to tease out the method to his madness?