Thread: Mic comparisons
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2023, 06:31 AM
Charter Member

Hi Barry,

I compared these to the previous examples and hear improvement, particularly with the AT2035's. With this track I can now enjoy your nice rendition of this tune. I still find the sound a bit 'brittle' for want of a better description - like many such issues it probably shows up because of a combination of things including the choice of mics/preamp combo combined with the particular guitar.

What about going further out with the mics now you have improved the acoustics as Chris suggests, also with a set-up with the mics off axis like ORTF or another near-coincident pair?

I have found a bit of this 'harsh' tendency on my cedar/walnut McIlroy when I have let the RH% drop too low, probably because it has so much overtones - I now keep it >50% (unlike my spruce tops that just get better with lower RH).

Regarding Chris’s comments about the attack on certain notes, I thought about how you are initiating the notes - slight friction on the wound strings maybe, are you using picks or nails? Nail/pick shape/ length, angle of attack perhaps?

Yes, I suggest you keep the same tune in your comparisons... what about an A/B with another guitar?

As an aside, something I do notice is your playing is much more deliberate, confident than it once was and musical, and deserves the effort you are putting in to optimise the sound.

Regards,

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube

Last edited by RodB; 05-13-2023 at 07:30 AM.