View Single Post
Old 05-02-2019, 07:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raining Notes View Post
Greetings

I have a Yamaha C40 and am trying to contact local musicians for jams. In the mean time is there a good way to record myself playing rhythm and playing scales over the top aside for my android phone which has a basic audio camera?

Any advice would be appreciated
To clarify the "aside for my phone" means "something other than your phone ?

So yes besides being able to use use your phone your laptop would be a reasonable method also .
And as mentioned a stand alone audio recorder like the Zoom is an option also (with some additional gear)

Both the phone and laptop have built in mics and speakers so in theory you could use just them.... BUT both the on board mics and speakers are very minimal sound quality wise.

If your wanting to go beyond that level your are going to some need more equipment and definitely a budget .

In general basic recording 101 terms, you need to get the analog signal off your guitar into a recording medium (usually digital now days)
And you need a way to get digital recorded file back out to analog so you can hear it, to play over...

A mic: either analog or digital. If digital it can be USB direct to computer or direct to phone

If analog you will need some kind of interface to convert the signal to digital for use in the computer

If your want to go beyond the speaker output capability of the phone or computer you will need a way convert the digital signal back to analog again and interface ( usually same one as above ) and some kind of amplification and speakers

There are a number of options and many products to accomplish this......

So the best thing for you to do is decide on what kind of budget range you are willing to commit to this end . And list any recording or sound equipment you currently have (if any) ...... then ask for suggestions

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1