View Single Post
Old 08-10-2015, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveac View Post
Wow, it is amazing to watch craftsmanship on this level! This is truly a handbuilt guitar. EXTRAORDINARY!
I agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Very cool to see this process--I was remarking on my build thread earlier that I had no idea how these guys do these bevels and that the craftsmanship is just such a high level of quality that it's mind-boggling. So now now that I've seen these pics on your build thread, I see now how they do it, but I still have no idea how they do it!
LOL Nemoman, hey any word on the finisher yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by invguy921 View Post
Steve, I love the wisdom here....not to mention, this makes me chuckle. Frankly, after seeing what you do I also understand why I am having my guitars built and not building them myself...the WHOLE process terrifies me. Heck, I wouldn't want to be within 50 yards of that guitar with a rasp in my hands...
Too funny, I think with the size of those teeth, put me down for 75 yards!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEdwinson View Post
Hey, Steve, isn't it interesting to find that there are so many ways to accomplish these tricky feats of woodworking? I appreciate you sharing your process on the arm bevel, because it looks so clean and well thought out. But your method is totally different from mine.
I have a friend who used to be an aircraft toolmaker/machinist, and he said, "If you haven't completely figured out at least three different ways to accomplish each job, you are only a half a craftsman..." So true!
When I made my first bevel, I couldn't find any YouTube videos or other published material to see how other people do it. So I invented my own method, and it works great. But seeing how neat and clean your process is, is making me re-think some of my methodology.
Anyway, thanks for the guided tour of Tom's guitar build. You and Ryan do great work. Cheers, -Steve
Hey Steve, thanks for checking in...I find it interesting that you both do bevels that come out great, but in two completely different ways!

Well, on to todays changes.

Steve worked on the channel for the side purfling to go around the bevel. It needs it own recess. Again all by hand with that handy little 1/4 inch file, thank goodness for that tool...

First, line marking the width of the side purfling channel blending in the corners:

Next Steve with his handy 1/4 inch file and loops making the ledge for the side purfling to fit around bevel:

Completed ledge:

Thanks for watching!!!

B'sox