View Single Post
Old 04-16-2021, 07:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Well, I got fifteen minutes in before I was interrupted. In my world, that's the problem with these threads that point to a video: I work in an audio control room and hit the AGF during lulls. At home, I sit with my lovely wifeling while she watches TV. Neither atmosphere is conducive to video watching on the laptop. In many cases I hover over a thread title, see that it is basically just a video, and move on, hoping for another chance.

My opinion of the video? I saw only one "pro guitarist" I recognized, Tim Pierce. I saw only one other person I have really watched videos from, Lee Anderton, and he isn't a "pro guitarist," he is a guitar dealer. The rest? Nevuh hoid of 'em. Sorry.

I love to see the interaction between Tim P. and Paul. I've seen a couple of other videos where they interact and it is fun. I actually like Paul's well-thought-out approach to guitar making. I actually like his guitars, but his prevalent 25" scale hasn't been attractive to me.

With that said, seeing a bunch of YouTube "stars" genuflect before Paul is of limited utility to me. I've come to see that the one thing YouYube stars want the most is an excuse to be on YouTube, whether or not there is useful content involved. Sorry.

Bob
Yes indeed time management can be a problem when perusing YouTube
But the good news is one can simply click off the video.

That said I am not certain guitarists being recognized by any one specific viewer actually relates even remotely to an accurate quantitative analysis of the number of "Pros" involved . not to mention understanding that "Pro" is only subjectively qualified, as being having to be session or touring musician.
And even if we accept that definition, I personally recognized double your number 2 Dave Weiner has had a pretty successful career as an in demand touring guitarist.

Since the format was simply asking question I am thinking the Pro is of marginal importance at best...
I am guessing the guy who arranged the Q & A interview, was simply aware of what kind of title might garner more clicks then just oh say "Some People ask Paul"

Plus I don't really see being a recognized "pro" per. se. has any bering on whether the questions are interesting or not
And somehow I don't think think having admiration for a builders work and accomplishments as "genuflection" But hey YMMV

As for the rest I try not to impose my speculation or judgement on to the motives of others IMO a practice fraught with pit falls

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2024.3 Sonoma 14.4