View Single Post
Old 10-01-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Bolding View Post
Hey there David, that sounded pretty good to me especially considering you're recording to an ipad. Your playing seemed solid and vocal was good; I look forward to hearing more when you get your new recording gear sorted. I do video and audio for a living so I'm curious as to what your new gear is?

The great thing about this song for me is no really high parts as I don't have a great vocal range so I might give it a go myself. How long did it take you to from learning it to performance level? Anyway, thanks for posting

Hi Mark, and thanks so much for your kind words mate. The story’s a bit long winded my friend, sorry - I’ve always loved listening to the song, and about 2 years ago I was just messing with some chords one day, doing a couple of ‘hammers on’ and ‘pull offs’ along the way, and I thought bits of what I was doing sounded similar to this song.
So I played with it - just messing really - and found what I was doing was similar in ways to the official chord structure. So I got the lyrics and put it all together.
I think I played it through about 5 or 6 times before doing a recording of it along to a backing track to see if it worked (the video of THAT is on my YT channel). I hated the result so never played it again. lol
Then last week I got the urge to try it again, ran through it twice, and recorded the video you see here.

My new gear isn’t very exciting by YOUR standards, I’m sure. I have an iMac, with a Focusrite 2i2 complete studio set up, and a couple of Shure condenser mics. I’m unsure what DAW I’ll be using yet as to be honest, I haven’t a clue what I’m doing and will have to check out learning curves etc. I also want to learn about creating videos of what I do as well - just as a hobby in my retirement, nothing professional, obviously.

If there’s anything you feel I should know your contribution would be welcome, and if you DO have a go at this song I’d LOVE to hear it - as I’m certain would we all.

* GUITARS
Freshman Apollo 6 string electro acoustic
Harley Benton GS-Travel-E Mahogany
50yr old EKO Ranger 12 String