View Single Post
Old 02-13-2006, 07:06 PM

Hey Bagelsgirl,

Although I wasn't injured as you were, I was where you are at now. In 2003, I was a Naval Reservist and was recalled to active duty in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom/Noble Eagle. I ended up being guitarless for the entire tour overseas. When I finally rotated back to Camp Pendleton, within a week of arriving, I was at the Taylor factory for a tour then to a GC in Carlsbad and the proud owner of a Big Baby (couldn't stand it anymore and didn't want to ship my guitars from home knowing I may possibly ship out again).

I took a couple of days to get acquainted with my new guitar before letting my shipmates know I even had it. The first time we got together with it, I can tell you that even after having been a performer off and on (mostly on) since 1968 and an extensive reortoire, I became extremely nervous and couldn't even think of a song to start with. These weren't strangers I was in front of, they were people I'd lived with for months under extreme conditions sharing everything. Anyway my best buddy said "Hey do you know Leader of the band?" and all of a sudden I was playing, nervousness gone and having a great time as with everyone else. Yahoo!!! Back in the Saddle! First gig in front of strangers was 2 months later when I finally got back home and it was if I had never left!

Your husband is right, It's like riding a bycicle. At least the hard part for me was getting back on. After that it's a piece of cake. You'll do well Elizabeth!

Folkman