View Single Post
Old 10-18-2019, 09:20 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osage View Post
Sometimes guitars stay in such great shape because they just aren't very good and never leave the case. I find some wear and tear to be a sign that the guitar was played a lot, which is almost always a good thing.

I concur with this. I take excellent care of my guitars but have two that are 15 and 18 years old respectively and each have a few dings from having a musical life. The older one I purchased used and it had belonged to a gigging musician. It came with some dings in the cedar top and a nick on the edge of the binding but nothing that would show that it wasn’t well cared for. It is a fabulous sounding instrument.

As you say, every person has their own comfort level. Damage can happen and there are excellent repair folks who can bring a guitar back to full structural integrity and cosmetic beauty. Lots of respected and trustworthy individuals who work with guitars. But, private and online sales may leave more things to chance. If I was interested in investing in a vintage or high end guitar and I was concerned about structural integrity then I would make provisions to have it checked out by a trusted repair person. Normal superficial cosmetic flaws would not concern me.

Best,
Jayne