View Single Post
Old 10-08-2019, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

Default Taylor/Yamaha Auditions today...

Happened to be close to a local music store and had a some time to burn so I finally got to check out the new Taylor Grand Pacific's (517 &717) and the Yamaha FGX5. While both Taylors surprised me with their departure from what I consider "True Taylor" voicing I was most taken by the 517 Builders Edition. I'll probably go back and play it again. Of course neck set and setup were spot on in usual Taylor fashion. But it didn't sound like Taylors I've tried in the past. It had a different more (can I use the term "vintage" in the same sentence?) voicing that I was totally not expecting. I liked it a lot more than I thought I would.

That being said...the Yamaha FGX5 was the one I was (and still am) seriously considering. I didn't try it plugged in to hear what the new "Atmosfeel" pickup sounded like but unplugged it just took me back to my early days of playing. I'm sure a lot of us may have started out on a Yamaha and it sure reminded me of those early days.

Anyway...it was an enjoyable way to spend an hour or so trying several new guitars. Glad I got to try the new Taylor GP's. Don't know that I'm smitten by them but they're sure a lot more to my liking than previously tried Taylors.
The Yamaha FGX5 however haunts me. Something about that one that just seems right somehow. Maybe it's pure nostalgia?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!