View Single Post
Old 02-20-2021, 09:25 PM
AGF Sponsor

That is a nice looking set of ABW. Although undoubtedly straight grained, that does not guarantee that it is quartersawn, and close is not the same thing. If you could see the wood, or had a higher resolution picture, you would want to look for medullary ray display, sometimes called “silking”. Silking rarely appears if the wood is not within a couple of degrees of true quarter. I say rare because, although I have heard others say it does, I have never seen it. Other important factors include how dry it is and fiber alignment to the surface. Documentation from a reputable cutter seems like a No brainer, but it is quite rare to have any, and honor is rarer that I once thought. Best is to educate yourself and handle the material, unless you have a qualified relationship with an actual expert.

Many people are building with wood I would not even consider using, and at least in the short run, their results are better than tradition suggests it should be. Because I am in for the long haul, and have some hope that my legacy will be beyond positive, I cleave to the traditional Tonewood grading values as much as possible. As I have gained experience I have come to understand why they are as they are, and there is serious method to them.