View Single Post
Old 03-26-2023, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
Thank you Robin!

I figured there was a knack to it. Will keep trying.

I had it tuned to DAD and did not much like the sound. Plus the strings (D'Addario nickel-plated, 12/14/22) were uncomfortably taut. I tuned it down to CGC and it sounds much better.

It's an AW Jeffreys, by the way, with an interesting and perhaps unique carved log cabin at the end of the pegbox.
I had a Jeffries, I thought that it was a lovely instrument. I have found a recording I did of it back in 2014:

Try it in DAA tuning with a noter. The thing with noter drone playing is that you have much less to work with, so the "trick" is to make the melody believable.

I sold all my dulcimers just before Christmas to a collector but have just had one back now that I recovered when clearing my mother-in-laws house. It is hanging on the wall in the lounge and is my "Heritage" model. It has staple frets just under the melody string and fiddle edges. It should have wooden pegs but I actually replaced them with Wittner Fine Tune pegs when I gave it to her. I may drop wooden pegs back into it now that it has come back to me.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.