View Single Post
Old 03-26-2008, 06:17 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Default Just received my new Composite Acoustics Cargo!

I'm posting this from my Blackberry, so I hope it works!

Some of you may recall from my post late last week that my Baby Taylor was eaten (crushed) by the convertible top of the car I rented while currently vacationing in Sarasota, FL from Canada. I put out a call for help to quickly buy a CA Cargo, and AGF member fitness1, and Danny at Acoustic Pro Musician came through for me big time! Danny is as great a guy to work with as has been reported in other threads.

The FedEx guy delivered my charcoal Cargo late this afternoon to my hotel in Sarasota. I've been playing it for a couple of hours. I'm finally getting my playing fix again. I gotta say this little guit is totally awesome. It's everything positive others have been reporting. I was immediately taken aback by the clarity and volume that comes out of it (unplugged - can't plug in until back home). I really didn't expect it. It blows the doors off the Baby Taylor, mini Martins and many other small bodied guitars I played in the past, which sound boxy and tinny compared to the Cargo. The Cargo is a serious acoustic guitar that rivals quality full-bodied acoustics, IMO. The neck is wider than the BT, so it plays like a full-size neck in terms of the hi and lo E strings don't slide over the fretboard edge like can tend to happen on the BT if you're not careful. It's very well balanced sound and weight-wise, and the contour back is very comfortable. It is more expensive than the BT and Martins, but worth every penny, IMO. I can only imagine what a full-size CA sounds like, and based on this experience, I expect I'll be buying one at some point.

Regarding the textured finish of the body top, don't worry. It's not abrasive so as to be irritating on the hand/forearm (the neck back is smoother). Not a problem for my playing style, but if you're one to drag your fingers in the pickguard area ('tho the Cargo has none), you'll cause a scratchy noise.

I love what I consider the 'stealth' look of the charcoal (especially with the black tuners/buttons and without any fretboard markers). In fact, if I were to name it, that's what it'd be.

Regarding the gig bag, I don't know who makes it (TKL is the logo on the bag), but it isn't the greatest. It's too big for the Cargo and not as form-fitted as the BT gig bag. The good thing though (at least for me) is that the Cargo is only slightly larger than the Baby Taylor (I have them both side-by-side against a wall in front of me right now) and it actually fits in the BT gig bag, so that should give you a visual of it's actual size.

I LOVE this guitar!

Tom

Last edited by Acousticado; 04-02-2008 at 04:01 PM.