View Single Post
Old 06-22-2019, 09:28 AM

Default Tommy E in Breckenridge

I had only seen Tommy Emmanuel on video prior to Thursday night and decided to make the drive to a Breckenridge to see him in person. We bought tickets back in April and were fortunate enough to get 6th row seats about 50’ from the stage. I thought I had an idea what to expect but was astounded by his performance. The man is a fantastic entertainer. One of the things I found most enjoyable is he really seems to enjoy what he does. He is completely at ease on stage with a myriad of genres and tunes ranging from Somewhere Over the Rainbow to a Beatles medley that was unbelievable. I didn’t realize he sang as he did a Chet Adtkins tune as well in celebration of his birthday as well as a number he collaborated with Mark Knopfler on. The altitude (about 9600’ ASL) seemed to affect him a bit as he reached for an oxygen bottle frequently through the performance but he powered through it and delivered like a champ. A word of caution if you’re a wannabe guitar hack looking for inspiration like myself. Go see him strictly for entertainment value. Seeing a player of that caliber will make you (me) realize there is an unattainable level of skill that exists. I will go see him next time he’s nearby and highly recommend seeing him live. Videos just don’t do him justice.
Martin D-18GE
Martin CS D-21S