View Single Post
Old 11-07-2017, 12:26 PM

Default Can tailpiece sink a guitar's top?

Hi everybody! Before I start I'd like to thank you all for the help you gave me on another thread, about repairing a chip / crack.

This time, another project. I got this guitar on a major bargain. The previous owner sold it to me as a "broken" or "beyond any repair" guitar, while all it had was in fact a loose bridge.

It is the classic example when someone puts steel strings on a nylon guitar. After the bridge came off, he tried using two screws to fix the bridge. All it did was to crack the bridge a little and leave the top with two screw holes.

Anyway, I talked to a friend who's a luthier and he advised me to reglue the bridge and explained me all the process. He said the bridge couldn't be saved and I should get a new one. Thing is, this is an old model, called the factory here and their bridges are now in a slight different size.

But my original idea was, to be cost effective, to reglue the bridge itself, using wood glue and later wood filler. Then, glue the bridge back to the top, clamp it etc. But then use a tailpiece as a way to "spare" the bridge from more damage and tension.

Having said that, here's my question: this friend of mine who's a luthier told me I could do that, but using the tailpiece would cause the top to sink over time, years maybe. That's why I'm here cause I don't want to simply say, "are you sure?" to him cause I know what the answer will be. The guitar is nylon strung and I guess he is giving advice about a steel string.

If so, isn't there a way I could reinforce the top the prevent this from happening?

Thanks a lot for any help. I'll be posting pictures as soon as I can.