View Single Post
Old 10-08-2018, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmr View Post
We just had the privilege of seeing Gillian And Dave in a small venue in OKC. I am a big fan of their music. Their vocals and their playing are so complimentary to each other.... it’s uncanny, really. I bought one of the new Epiphone Olympic modelS when they came but sold it when we sold our home and I needed to thin my herd. I regretted it that day and still do. I know a lot of archtop affficianados are not fans of the new Epi’s but for what they are, they do a very nice job, and I don’t think the intent if them was/is meant to be a faithful copy of their originals, but even still, the Olympic is quite nice. And plugged in, that thing sounded big! Oh, and that was one of the better concerts we have ever seen. David and Gillian are incredibly gracious and kind, engaging, and supremely talented in their musical genre.
I love my Epiphone Olympic reissue, and after owning it for a few weeks I just brought it to my favorite setup guy. This guy works on all of my guitars, and I'm having him cut the nut down a bit and really give the frets a good looking over to have this guitar play lot butter. I have this done by him to ever guitar that I use on stage. The Olympic was good stock, but this guy has the touch.

It's funny, I own a lot of upper tier guitars, but I've been impressed with some "lowly" new Epiphones more than once. I have two friends with Masterbuilt acoustics that are both ridiculously good sounding. Not for the money as most people say, these guitars are just fantastic in every way. One is the mahogany backed OM style, the other, the mahogany backed advanced jumbo. I have another friend who plays a Sheraton II reissue as his main guitar and he owns a bunch of really nice USA built Gibsons. I also own an Epiphone Dot that sounds GREAT. I was testing out amplifiers in a store when day when someone handed me this Dot. Funny thing, all the amps sounded great, but when I plugged other guitars into the same amps the tone was gone. Winds up it was the guitar I liked. A good friend of mine went back to the store and bought that guitar for me He knew I wouldn't buy it because it said Epiphone on the headstock! That was over ten years ago, and I still have the Dot when many other guitars have come and gone! I can't count the amount of times when people have been in my studio and grabbed that guitar and were taken by surprise. And when I bought the new Olympic reissue it was the same thing, the same friend who bought me the Dot handed me the Olympic to show him and a new song I had just written. About an hour later, I shelled out the case and walked out of the store with it.