View Single Post
Old 12-31-2007, 07:20 AM

I own a RainSong jumbo, and my opinion has always been that it sounds better than any wood guitar I've ever played. It sounds fully opened up, loud, responsive and clear. Whenever I play wooden (flat-top) guitars nowadays they sound muddy and dampened to my ear. To an extent I do think I've been conditioned to feel this way, since the RainSong is my primary guitar (due to its relative imperviousness to humidity and temperature changes).

But I can understand it's not for everyone. It's sort of like replacing a human arm with a bionic arm. The carbon fiber allows for an ultra-thin unbraced top that's not possible with wood. RainSong's engineers probably see wood's relative muddiness as a weakness, whereas most traditionalists may see it as warmth and tonal character.

I've tried one of RainSong's new Advanced Series guitars, and was somewhat disappointed. These are a lower-cost alternative to their Classic Series, but the quality seems to be compromised as well. They are heavier and quieter. I wish more Classic Series jumbos and dreads were available for people to try before forming opinions about the entire brand.

I tried a CA GX Performer recently, and I liked it a lot. Not as loud or clear as my jumbo, though better than the Advanced Series in terms of projection. And the tone is very nice. If I had to do it all over again I'd probably go with a CA dread (until they make a jumbo) -- the stainless steel frets are a great option for an otherwise indestructible guitar.

Lastly I would like to agree with marioed -- I wouldn't leave a CA or RainSong guitar in a hot car for an extended period of time, primarily because of glue issues. I do own two Emerald composite guitars, and I think they are a little more resistant to high temperatures because the bodies are all one piece -- no glue to worry about.