View Single Post
Old 06-10-2007, 08:10 AM

Default Never thought I'd have a custom build, but...

... I'm on the road to having a custom guitar built for me.

Builder: Don Sharp
Wood selection: Engelmann Spruce / Claro Walnut
Guitar shape: Grand Auditorium

I have to say this about the "custom guitar" journey: it's humbling. It's humbling if you let the builder do their job in making the decisions so they can spec out the best guitar for you. It's humbling to have an artistan listen to you and then create something that will allow you to be better at your craft. I haven't even gotten the guitar yet, and I already feel humbled simply by the experience.

On my first phone call, I told him my guitar playing history, what I had in mind and then sought his input. I originally had "sitka / koa small jumbo" in mind, but I told him I wanted him to decide what's best. After the initial phone call, he thought a sitka / ziricote grand auditorium would be the ticket.

A few hours later, as I was eating at a Chinese restaurant by a charter school I "volunteer-teach" at (yes, it's not just for Esteban contests anymore), I checked my email on my phone. After he did some research through some of my recordings and finding a song I wrote where I was playing my good ole' Goodall AKGC (now gone... a casualty of a downturn in business), the results were in and a claro walnut replaced ziricote in the line-up.

Fast forward: a few weeks later, I was playing an old engelmann-topped guitar I used to own (now in the posession of a friend of mine in Ohio). I knew I loved the sound of engelmann, but I also loved the sound of sitka. I called Don and asked his opinion of changing the top to sitka. He was all for it, saying that it would pair up well with walnut and that it was his favorite tonewood.

And... So, you you get what we have here this week... which is the way he wants it, so, he gets it. (although this guitar is anything but a failure to communicate)

Okay, when it came to the guitar, I did have one must have option: I didn't want any bling. 98% wood ensuring that no sea creatures will be hurt in the production of this guitar. Again, he was cool with that.

Here are some pics, along with the email quotes:

Quote:
Theo, attached are the photos I promised. the walnut is much nicer in person. There's a lot of figure that doesn't show up in the photos. The set is wiped with mineral spirits to give you an idea of the figure. the finished instrument will be slightly lighter.

Quote:
Attached are two photos of the joined and sanded top (engelmann) and back. I've got the sides sanded and bent and will send a photo of the assembled rim.

Quote:
Attached in a photo of the claro walnut burl I am planning to do your rosette from.

Quote:
Attahced are photos of your side being bent in one of my Fox-Style Benders and a close up of the side wetted to show the figure on the new sides. The entire lenght of the sides has this degree of figure or better.

And so, I'm on this pilgrimage many have walked before me. Thank you to all of you for the "build posts", advise on letting the builder do what they do best, and for fostering the extremely unhealthy behavioral pattern G.A.S.

Peace, theo