View Single Post
Old 05-27-2017, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Thanks for the further opinions. I have no plans to add another guitar, just curious about why the Takamine's seem to always be favored for stage use.

I actually do have another guitar on order to compliment the one I have. It's an Emerald X20 carbon fiber. I've owned one before and it was very good for my style of playing sound-wise so that might help. I wonder who the X20 with it's offset sound hole responds to stage use. I might do a post on that in the Carbon Fiber sub-forum. This one will also have a K&K in it.

I've got a LR Baggs Para DI inbound so I'll give that a try and be sure to not dial out the mids. To answer the questions posed about my amplifier, currently it's a Carvin AG200 with is more PA-like (some refer to it accurately as more of a half PA) than a normal acoustic amplifier. Amps before that were a Genz Benz Shenandoah, and the Fishman SA220 and also the Loudbox Mini and Artist.

We'll hit one of the open mics Sunday and I'll try the little belt clip K&K this time only dialing up the treble a bit while leaving the mids and bass flat and let the sound guy dial back (or up) as needed. I've also got a Red Eye I'll start taking and if they have an XLR with phantom power I might try that as that has a treble boost to it. That might work better with the place that has the higher-end equipment and pro-sound guy anyway.

I'll also be auditioning the new sound hole cover I just got in so that should help with some feedback issues with this small and resonant guitar. I'll report back how it goes.
Sounds like a good plan. The sound person can roll off the bass as easily as you can.

Your AG200 probably has a decently flat frequency response and is a good device to monitor on. However, it appears that the sweepable mid control is as much of a feedback notch as it is a mid control. It probably has a much narrower frequency band than the Pure Preamp's mid band and you could be doing your actual cutting anywhere within its range of 100Hz (definitely a bass frequency) to 2KHz. A deep "mid" cut with this control probably won't correspond very closely to a deep mid cut with the Pure Preamp's mid control.

Regarding the Baggs PADI, its generally a very good preamp. I personally preferred using a GE-7 with the Pure Mini, but you can certainly make the PADI work. There's a way that you can use the PADI's notch to identify your guitar/pickup rig's most feedback prone frequency (probably between 100Hz and 200Hz) and notch it down (up to -6db) with the PADI's notch. Between the bass control and the notch, you should be able to deal with your muddiness and feedback problems. You'll also have a great deal of available gain (up to 24db) to use if you need it.

Oops. It should also be mentioned that the PADI's phase inversion switch may be helpful with feedback issues and the presence control can be very helpful with a dull tone. I was having problems dealing with an iBeam-equipped guitar on one occasion, and a healthy presence boost made an unexpectedly big improvement.

Last edited by guitaniac; 05-27-2017 at 08:24 AM.