View Single Post
Old 11-12-2019, 08:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
I speculate that when Eastman starts making Bourgeois guitars they will be of excellent quality and they will make and sell a ton of them. (That's the only reason they would have gotten involved). I think the crew in Maine will be left alone to build premium instruments as long as they don't cost Eastman too much money. Since it is a high volume Chinese guitar company the brand value may be diminished but they'll more than make up for it in volume.

I love my Bourgeois guitars and was disappointed to hear about the alliance but I'm happy that Dana was able to secure the resources to keep the doors open.
This thread covers a lot of ground. Asian luxury automobiles, a deep dive into Breedlove, a shallow dive into the history of Guild, buying new vs. used, buying guitars with the intention of selling them later, and the risks of buying boutique guitars instead of established factory brands.

I don't have much to add, except to point out that Eastman is not "a high volume Chinese guitar company." And at the $3000-6000 targeted price points, I don't see them selling a ton of them either. Based on Bourgeois' 400 and Eastman's 4000 annual acoustic guitar volumes, I'd place my bets on them selling ~800 guitars, which would triple DB's business and add 20% onto Eastman's business.

As for cars, I owned four domestic cars: three with engine failure before 100k miles, the other got totaled in a head-on vs. pickup truck. I owned Mitsubishi cars for 18 years and drove them into the ground with minimal repairs needed (traded them b/c the leather interior gave out). Owned two pre-owned Mercedes-Benz, where my maintenance equaled my monthly car payments (ridiculous!), so I traded them back for... wait for it... used Lexus and Acura. Nearly two years in, and we have less than $300 in total maintenance / service (and since they're not new, they haven't depreciated much either).

I think that gets me caught up on this thread.