Thread: Mixer Talk
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2019, 06:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
I'm contemplating a small PA, and have settled on a pair of 8" or 10" powered cabinets (QSC or the like). I thought that choice was hard, but now I'm looking at mixers... the choices are mind-boggling!

Requirements: mostly for solo gigs (mic, 2 guitars) so smaller/lighter is better, but sometimes I'll have a guest or two sitting in (1-2 more mics, 1-2 more instruments), and the possibility of running a small open mic/jam session occasionally. So probably 8 channel minimum.

Another "high want" but maybe not absolute requirement is the ability to record multi-track off the board (or even on-board). Those special nights with guests tend to be the shows you want to capture, and often the stereo master mix just isn't that great.

Models I've considered:
Soundcraft Notepad-12FX
A&H ZEDi-10fx
Soundcraft Signature 12MTK
QSC Touchmix 8 or 16
Zoom L12 or L20 Rack
Behringer XR18 or X32 Rack
Soundcraft Ui24R
A&H Qu-SB

I keep going round and round--all have advantages and disadvantages. By the time you add in any controller tablets, add-ons or a recording laptop if necessary, the price is kind of a wash. So...

It'll be horses for courses, but anyone want to chime in with your experience (good or bad) with any of these, or other options I haven't considered? Thanks.

If it were me I would seriously consider the Soundcraft Signature 12 MTK.
Great pres, great EQ, and limiter, and multi track to USB connection for direct record to DAW .

$50 off right now at Sweetwater https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Sig12MT--soundcraft-signature-12-mtk-mixer-and-audio-interface-with-effects?gclsrc=aw.ds&&mrkgcl=28&mrkgadid=123369242 9&rkg_id=0&campaigntype=dsa&campaign=aaDSA&adgroup =1233692429SA%20-%20Analog%20Mixers&placement=google&adpos=1t1&crea tive=282276643087&device=c&matchtype=b&network=g&g clid=EAIaIQobChMIlYLd7KnL5AIVih-tBh1qfALZEAAYASAAEgL6S_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4