View Single Post
Old 09-07-2015, 07:14 PM

Location: A small island off the coast of a bigger island off the coast of a giant continent

I can't even begin to call myself 'expert' in any of this... I literally got the Phazer on Saturday with the intent to actually teach myself more about this stuff. The thing is, unless you've heard phase cancellation then it's difficult to know what it is and what effect it makes on your sound. The nice thing about the Phazer is that you can listen without it–bypassed–and then turn it on. You can flip the phase. Or you can sweep it around and the differences you hear are quite different. As sdelsolray (someone who is well worth paying attention to by the way) states, it does bring it's own issues the way I'm doing it. Radial (a well respected maker of all sorts of clever doodads in bombproof boxes) are not to be sniffed at when it comes to this kind of stuff. But you pay for the privilege. The Phazer isn't as expensive as the Little Labs jobby, but it doesn't do as many things either (it's not a DI for instance).

The other thing to note, and the thing that Doug and I were just going back 'n' forth on, is that with electric guitar kinda stuff, there is often a process called 'reamping', which makes it easy to sit with a phase alignment tool like this and sweep it to get the 'best' sound from two sources. But with acoustic guitar you can't record something and then send it BACK to the guitar. So, what I've been fiddling with this afternoon is using the Phazer in my DAW. So the track I'm fiddling with squirts it's signal out to the Phazer and then back in again (using, in Logic Pro, an 'I/O' plugin). As sdelsolray notes, that introduces it's own issues... to that end the Logic I/O plug actually has a 'ping' button that sends an audio signal to the device and back again... in the case of the Phazer, in my set up, it took 12 samples to go and return. Also Logic Pro X has plug in latency compensation features but I have no idea how good they are.

As I said, I'm still an arch amateur and noodler...