View Single Post
Old 01-11-2021, 09:05 AM

Default Errata

Quote:
Originally Posted by JParrilla View Post
Thanks! What in particular puts Parkening last on your list? I heard about it so much that I actually decided to order it. Interested in knowing which others are better before diving ...
Not really "last", because CP method volumes swim among those three of the most acclaimed (or at least most used) methods among who knows how many others. But I loaned out my copies many years ago, and barely remember contents, so I should not have given any preference rankings, sorry. One possible advantage of Shearer (that I had in mind) is how modern its right hand techniques are, such as to not recommend the bent wrist Segovia/Parkening style. Those old fashioned techniques still do sound good, as demonstrated here by forum poster Dymitri Nilov who showcases his students playing and winning competitions using the default perpendicular-to-strings attack. (I play that way too. Some modern pedagogy claims it's too injury prone, and passe. Maybe I just havent practiced hard enough to create a hand injury with my bent wrist.) Anyhow, you are maybe past these issues, and are looking for what to play, not how to play, (which is more easily accomplished with teacher.) Im going to buy the Parkening volumes again, if only to be able to talk about it better.

Btw, the Wm. Leavitt Book 1 I have is all flatpick. But I read they recently published a fingerstyle edition of the series. Sounds like a good way to go.

There's some great music theory on guitar Youtubes, too, of course. But it's hard to discern where they are taking you until you've watched some of it. Rabbit holes threaten!