View Single Post
Old 01-10-2021, 09:38 AM

Default Method book suggestions (with theory)

Hey all so once I wrap up the free method PDF from thisisclassicalguitar, I want to move onto a method book that really focuses on teaching reading with intervals in mind and also gets into theory of chords, scales, etc. All of the piano method books I have used really stressed learning to read by intervals and not simply this line is this note, etc. So are there method books out there that specifically help to learn to read music for guitar with an emphasis on intervals, theory, etc? Or does it make more sense to just get a separate guitar theory book and not expect a method book to go much into that stuff? I really want to be a fluent reader and eventually learn to compose my own stuff on the guitar. So I want to be on a path that gets me there, and not just focus on playing composed scores. I want to get good at identifying intervals, chords, arpeggios, etc on scores and playing them without spelling out notes. My real goal has always been to composing so I feel like learning all of this is essential as opposed to just learning how to play existing pieces if that makes sense.

I have been eyeing the Parkening books, but not sure if that is going to have what I am looking for