View Single Post
Old 09-26-2020, 01:30 PM
Humanist

Default A new Rebecca Urlacher build, EIR/German Spruce

Dustin Furlow's recent Rebecca Urlacher build caught me off-guard, and this was unusual, as Rebecca is a good friend, and I usually am in-the-loop with a new/special-build for her!

Nonetheless, Rebecca had kept me in the dark on this one (!), so I followed the build-thread closely, especially with some unique/new build features for Rebecca...and then I followed the videos by Dustin with great interest.

Now, I need another new guitar like I need a hole in the head. Aside from the new-ish Simon Fay and Tom Rein guitars I own, I also have the two 1999 custom Bozo Podunavac guitar, which are rather beautiful in their tonal maturity...not too mention that I *love* the aesthetic of Bozo's work. Oh yeah, Anders Sterner is inches away from delivering one of the best classical guitars I have ever heard/played. 650mm scale, baby...I'm in!

I also have a couple of mature-sounding guitars for sale right now...but that's another story.

All of that said, I have *always* been impressed with the tone Rebecca gets, and I have previously recorded a whole bunch of her guitars for mp3 presentation on her website. To say that I was a "fan" would be an understatement.

The bottom line is that Rebecca's build for Dustin was one of the most cohesive details/aesthetics presentations that I have seen in quite a while, and it presented an opportunity for Rebecca and I to *finally* work together on a guitar...so I made a quick personal decision. A 541 area code phone call ensued, and away we went...

I wanted much of the same aesthetics as Dustin's build, but not everything as an exact match...just close, so that Rebecca would have another guitar out there in what I consider a strong "signature" of her designs.

We discussed both cedar and spruce for the top, and ultimately went with some German Spruce that Rebecca had...and also some top-grade East Indian Rosewood, to keep things simple.

Here are some photos, for your possible viewing pleasure.

100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner

Last edited by Larry Pattis; 09-26-2020 at 01:42 PM.