View Single Post
Old 09-03-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
+1. It's interesting to know how they were made, but it doesn't matter. The goods are the goods.
There can be societal/social implications. I won't go down that rabbit hole much, but suffice it to say that "automation" was supposed to free humans of much of manual labour and provide more free time to pursue "higher" pursuits. That hasn't really happened.

Making something by hand, in the old world sense, can be a choice for a way of life. If one wants to specifically support someone in preserving those "old world" ways and skills, then the goods aren't just the goods.

I had the privilege to study some with a fellow named Rob Cosman. Rob can make a hand-cut dovetailed drawer - using saws and chisel and marking tools - faster than most people can setup their router. His joints are flawless every single time. He spent years developing that skill and now teaches that skill to others. One can buy a drawer made with hand-cut dovetails that will last your lifetime, or one can chose to buy a CNC'd, factory-made drawer - or a drawer made with modern extruded plastic and held together with screw fasteners - from Ikea that might last a decade or so. Both are drawers, both will hold one's "stuff". One cost more than the other. One supports specific skills, the other a different set of specific skills. There isn't a "right" answer: it's a choice one can make with implications.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=xxIgNel0H_I