Thread: Delay Settings
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2011, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattChen View Post
hhmmmm, I feel like I am doing it right but without using the same platform as you I suppose it's hard to confirm.

Basically if I am recording a track (referred by logic as "input 1") and have it highlighted, the plugins menu is on the far left side and is under a heading called "inserts". Just below this heading and any plugins you add is another heading called "sends"; which you can add bus 1 or bus 2, etc. When you click on one of these buses it goes into an identically structured menu vertically parallel to "input 1", only it's called "bus 1". On here I can add delay, and then reverb on bus 2....and I am able to adjust the volume of these individual buses which seems to affect the intensity of the effect.

Am I doing this right? It seems like I am as the effects no longer sound the same even though I am using the same reverb/delay settings; I assume it's because I have a dry signal in the mix now?

So one, am I doing this right, and two what is the benefit of doing this? Is it always better to do this (i.e. every time)?

And one more thing, what do you mean by OP?

Thanks so much for all your help.
Pro Tools and Logic's Aux send and return structure (which is what is being discussed here) are nearly identical. The first noticeable difference is in Logic if you click on the send section of an individual audio track it automatically creates an Aux channel for you.

So that is to say if you have only ONE audio track in a Logic session and you want to add reverb via an aux send and return scheme you'd click on the send section of the audio track and suddenly you'd have two channels. It's automatic (both the creation of the channel and the routing) in Logic and not in Pro Tools. Now you have the original audio track and a new Aux return channel.

You'd then instantiate a reverb on the new Aux return channel. The final step is via the original audio track which will now have a send level control. This send level control will dictate how much signal is bussed over to the reverb which is living on the new Aux return channel.

It's important to note here that as the session grows any or all of the other tracks can share that reverb.