View Single Post
Old 11-20-2017, 02:24 PM

The Blackbird El Capitan is a small jumbo guitar, with outstanding tone. Despite its appearance it is much smaller than the Gibson J-200 that it visually resembles. When I played El Capitan, I was strongly reminded of my Taylor GA's. Lucky 13 is smaller than an OM and comparable to an LG or GC, but they are no longer taking orders for those (glad I got mine while it was still in active production). You might be lucky enough to find an L13 still in stock somewhere, or a used example. Hopefully, there will be an Ekoa equivalent to L13 coming soon. The physical size is a nice bridge between GA and 0 / parlor sized guitars.

I find the body and sound of the Cargo to be fine, but the short 22.75" scale is a bit tight for my large paws (it is my wife's guitar and she loves the "mama bear" scale length). A similar body size with a 24" or longer scale would be awesome -- which kinda sounds like the Emerald X7 or a Rainsong Shorty.

I just received my Emerald X20-12 twelve string last week. The built-in bevels and rounded edges are quite comfy. While it is about the same width as a Grand Auditorium (my favorite body size) or Dreadnought body at the lower bout, it feels smaller and more comfortable to hold.

And of course, Ted mentioned the CA contenders too. The way that Ted phrased his post above, I suddenly realized that the Ox is an OM size and the Gx is a Grand Auditorium size -- never connected those dots before. For informational purposes, I will have to give them a test play during my next visit to our local store, which stocks both (and the Cargo too).

Last edited by Earl49; 11-20-2017 at 04:53 PM. Reason: fixed tpyos