View Single Post
Old 10-23-2017, 01:26 PM

Default Need Help with Amplification

Hi Everyone,

I posted this in the amplification section as well, so please forgive me for doubling up, but I'm not sure where it best fits.

So, I may get accused of blasphemy, but I'm needing help getting my old Gibson L7 to sound the way I want it. I play in a country band, mostly strumming, and I just can get more of the open sound that I'm used to with my flattops. I know I'll never get it to be a flattop, but I would like to get a bit closer if I can.

Now, I know the easiest solution is to just use a guitar that fits, but this guitar has a lot of sentimental value as it belonged to my Grandfather, and I can't help but feel a piece of him up there with me when I play it.

Currently I have a K&K Definity pickup under the saddle, and I use a Zoom A3 to help model a little bit. Before I drop another few hundred on it, I wanted to get the opinion of people who know more than me. Do you think that getting a floating pickup would help, or does anyone have a better suggestion. I've been watching videos, but everyone is demonstrating their archtops (appropriately) on jazz songs. I can't find anything that really points me down the right road, and honestly, there may not even be a road that gets me where I want to be.

My only caveat is that I don't want anything that I have to alter the guitar in order to use, ie. drilling or routing.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!