View Single Post
Old 04-16-2019, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzer44 View Post
The contemporary Epi Century Deluxe archtop is a horrible guitar.
The vintage Epi Deluxe made in NY in 1930s & 40s (before Gibson's parent bought Epiphone) is a truly magnificent top notch instrument.
The two have very little in common.
Looks like Gibson is still sore about Epiphone having made better archtops back in the day. Note that most top jazz guitarists played Epiphone back then, while the singing cowboys played Gibson.
So Charlie Christian, Alvino Rey, Allen Reuss, Les Paul, Eddie Lang, Snoozer Quinn, were all singing cowboys? Maybe they could have been somebody if they played an Epiphone!

And as for the new Masterbuilt reissues, they are fine guitars for what they are, a budget archtop. I own a TON of high end guitars, but I bought my little Olympic because I picked it up to show somebody a song that I had just wrote, and guess what, it had a unique midrange oriented sound that works for a certain style that I like to play in, no, not jazz, but a blues/folk fingerstyle. Is it like the originals? No, not really, but it has a sound that I find musical. And that doesn't equate to "horrible" to me. I've made a pretty good living as a musician for the last 20 years, so I think I know when I've found a good instrument.