Thread: Tonewood Advice
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2014, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostgum View Post
I build guitars for my son who plays predominately blues and roots. So far I've built him a OM curly Maple & Sitka and a OM BR and Adirondack. I'm keen to build him a OM Ziricote and Sinker Redwood because I just love both of these woods from an aesthetic POV. My question is could I expect to get a different tone from such a combination compared to the other guitars I've built so far. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Ziricote is a beautiful wood and produces great sounds.

For blues and roots, like the other suggestions I'd look towards Mahogany back and sides OM (if that is your son's favourite body shape). 'Normal' Honduran Mahogany doesn't have the most spectacular visual appearance, and if that is important there is Quilted Mahogany, or I would recommend it's close cousin of Pomelle/Quilted Sapele which is visually amazing.

Like Tim McK, I'm in agreement about the ladder bracing.

Collings, via their new brand 'Waterloo' have a new 00 sized guitar that comes in X braced and Ladder braced and there's a good video comparing the two guitars below. I believe the ladder braced produces a 'bluesier' sound than the X braced guitar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs-b...4Wr-_-pwc8YXKA