View Single Post
Old 08-26-2019, 04:53 PM

Therefore according to my understanding and definitions the Lowden workshop is a factory because as far as I can gather they do not optimise the tone of each guitar but they build according to a standard specification. Likewise for Avalon and McIlroy. On the other hand froggy bottom, Santa cruz, and bourgeois are lutherie workshops because they do individual voicing of guitars.

An example of a luthier doing every operation with only hand tools and without even a bandsaw is boaz elkayam who even takes the trouble to personally cut down some of the wood that he uses. A luthier on the other side of the spectrum is james olson who has perfected the manufacture of his guitars in his one man man shop to such an extent that at the height of his production he was able to make more than 50 guitars a year all by himself.

Last edited by gitarro; 08-26-2019 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Amended according to new information that I previously was unaware.