View Single Post
Old 09-17-2021, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post
…when I was a lad…in 1969 I had a strat…when I realized I probably wasn’t gonna be the next Jimi I traded it in at a pawn shop for an SG standard thinking I could be the next Eric…..I finally realized I was only gonna be J Patrick…

…love both models
Ha! I never thought I could be Jimi or Clapton - I figured on my best days, I might get in the neighborhood of Peter Green or BB King. Green mostly played a strat and Les Paul, BB almost always a semi-hollow. I played enough of those and other electrics and quickly realized that on the very rare occasions I managed to briefly visit the outer suburbs of the sound neighborhood those guys lived in, it didn’t matter what I was playing, it was all about HOW I was playing.

I ended up with a strat because it’s the sound I love most about 90% of the time, and an SG with P90s because that’s the other sound I love enough to want to play the other 10% or so of the time. A Les Paul with P90s would sound at least as good, but I’m a LOT more comfortable playing an SG seated than a Lester.

And, yeah, I ultimately sound like me, not them. It’s nothing to aspire to, but it’s what always seems to happen, so I finally learned to just go with it… It’s hard enough playing like me- I’m waaaaay too lazy to learn to play like someone else!

-Ray