View Single Post
Old 01-15-2019, 09:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveMusic View Post
Just curious if anyone had a Eureka! moment when they found a guitar that was awesome when playing fingerstyle but you have no fingernails. Which is me. Nails would give more volume and a crisper sound but, it is what it is! I haven't yet found finger picks that I liked. I have a Collings OM3 and it's better than most for this style of playing.
Hi LM

My 1992-93 Olson Dreadnought, EIR/Cedar, and my 2005 Bashkin OM fanned fret Myrtlewood/Italian Spruce are really excellent at all-flesh-fingerstyle play.

I think the key to great sounding/playing all-flesh-fingerstyle guitars is have a guitar with great projection, quick responsive, better than average volume without pushing it hard, a lot of sustain, and balanced tone across the strings.

I use mostly all-flesh with just a hint of nails for accent now and then. And I don't use a thumbtack either. Not every fingerstyle player wants the attack of nails. Others do, and it's again one of those differences which keeps us being intrigued with how versatile these acoustic instruments are!

I DO strum with the backs of my nails (fingers 2-3 for downstroke and thumbnail for upstroke).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…