View Single Post
Old 08-16-2018, 12:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootis View Post
Congratulations Mike (and Steve)! I too yearn for a Redwood/Macassar guitar, for my first "boutique" guitar was that combo (not sinker) on a McPherson that I picked up from Woody. I'm sure this will be a stunner and Steve ought to be able to coax the best vibes from that wood combo. Looking forward to seeing the progress.
Thank you! I'm glad it's Sinker but was open to any other variety of redwood. I wanted the warmth and headroom that I have come to associate with that wood and let Steve pick what he thought would get us there. He was very happy, excited really, to have something on hand he thought would be ideal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEdwinson View Post
I love working with Mike on this project. It's a creative collaboration, with Mike adding his design ideas to the mix, and I'm glad to say, we agree 100% on all the particulars. As Mike said, we've become good friends, starting here on the AGF, and now reaching well beyond the whole guitar thing.Even though we have yet to meet in person, I consider Mike to be a brother in my inner circle.

The guitar we are building together is an Eclipse OM model, which, since its inception in 2016, has become by far my most popular design. Mike and I co-designed a new style Venetian cutaway for it, which I think works great with the modern shape of this OM.
Mike asked me to make mini-bevels (arm and rib), which are much slimmer than my standard bevel treatment, but still very functional. I like this new design so much, I think I'll standardize on it from now on. Mike also asked me to trim the bevels in black Ebony, instead of the marbled black and tan Ebony I first suggested. Today, I'll finish the bevels, and so far they look great- clean and elegant. So we'll have a built box this afternoon.
I'm very pleased to report that the box has that amazingly responsive vibe you always hope for when you tap on it. Sinker Redwood and Macassar Ebony are a great combo, and this guitar already has the markers for a vibrant, colorful tone.

I will organize my photos after I cross this mid-point line today, and post some of them here.
Thanks to everyone for coming along for the ride! As always, I appreciate all the kind comments, which I will try very hard to live up to! And thanks, Mike, for taking the Captain's chair on this thread. That means I can get more actual lutherie accomplished!
Brother is definitely appropriate. We have similar philosophies on many aspects of life. It's made the whole process very easy and comfortable. What is particularly nice is how Steve has encouraged me to state my opinion, no offense if the ideas in my head don't match what he originally came up with. And the only change that I requested, as he noted, was I wanted plain black bevels. He offered some very pretty marbled ebony, but my thinking is the black ebony with separate the beautiful back and top woods, allowing them to stand out on their own.

We went with the Eclipse OM because he felt it provides almost as much volume as the larger EP performance model (which is only 1/2" larger at the lower bout), and with an eye to longevity; I'm 55 and while nowhere near "old", I'm not a tall guy and want a guitar that will remain comfortable for as long as I am capable of playing. The bevels will help in that area, as well.

I gave Steve some ideas about inlays for the neck, I'm not sure where that is headed yet, and that is truly part of the fun. And hearing how things are coming along from Steve's perspective, is all the more exciting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevien View Post
Looking forward to seeing pics of this one!
Steve
Thanks Steve! I'm sure they'll be posted either later today or tomorrow.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)