View Single Post
Old 10-19-2017, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Miner View Post
My pleasure, Dylan. Glad my reputation continues to proceed me (you wouldn’t think so, if people actually scrolled through some of our after-hours Gathering photos).

I suspect Rob Smith (Timberline owner) will have specs up before long, but the ingredients you list are the same as the T20Ac 6-string.

My involvement in this is for the exact same reason I do everything. Because someone should, and, as “Sir Gregory,” I often have the means, so jump in (I’m not compulsive, only obsessive). Also, I needed something to offer on my web site mentioned above. I gave Rob the same challenge I’ve given everyone. Give me a good thousand-dollar harp guitar and we can blow this thing wide open. Much to my surprise, he did! I’m thrilled, as I was getting tired of all the “Doolin-rip-off” HGs selling like hotcakes on Amazon (and even getting good reviews from some owners…but then again, look at their aftermarket turnaround).

I wasn’t worried about Indonesian instruments – I just needed to know they weren’t going to use green wood that caused so many problems out of China. They actually have stiff penalties for any wood product coming back, so they go overboard in protecting their investment. Quality should be first rate at this price point. Rob busts their chops and I bust his!

Check my Testimonials page or ask anyone on this Forum about my singular combination of passion and bluntness. If a client’s Dyer sucks, I won’t say as much, but anyone reading between the lines of my listing will know what they’re getting with no surprises. Same here. This will kick Amazon, but will never be sold there, as it would have to be marked up to 2-3 grand. Rob calls this a “loss leader” and that apparently includes me!

The upshot: I sold Rob strings for a prototype HG for Jamie, then checked it out at NAMM last January. It sounded OK, was no beauty contest winner, but was an impressive first attempt from a small factory that had never touched one. Knowing that Rob was serious about the project and confident that I could improve it, I had an hour+ meeting with the head luthier and owner of the Indonesian firm. We hit it off, they (and Rob) agreed to let me re-design it from the ground up, and I did 50% of it right there. The final design and tweaks took a while, but I got 95% of exactly what I intended – pretty amazing, frankly.
Wow, that's really neat. Truly the biggest obstacle in people trying harp guitars is the price point and rareness of them. It's a catch-22. Without enough interest, low-priced production models don't get offered. Without that offering, people can try them... so there's little to no interest. Around and around it goes... I imagine most guitar manufacturers are scared to take the step into this seemingly niche market.

The specs for the T20Ac are unusual to me. I haven't seen a 14 fret short scale before. Will the harp guitar be a 24.9 short scale as well? I also don't see a 20" fretboard radius too often on steel string acoustic guitars. Perhaps harp guitars attract more classical players. I did play some Rainsong's with 20" and they felt fine. I'm very curious to see the final specs. I'm also completely unfamiliar with Indoneasen Red Mahogany's tone. I understand it's a bit softer than South American Mahogany. A tone between Cedar and Mahogany would be very interesting.

I use the entire fretboard and have very sensitive pitch. How is the intonation on these? I like having open strings ringing while playing chords into the 17th fret area. Poor intonation really shows up there!

I will certainly be watching and I'm very interested at this price point. Thanks again!

Last edited by Kerbie; 10-25-2017 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Edited quote