View Single Post
Old 09-14-2016, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSpruceTop View Post
I've decided I'll pick up some light round wounds to try and balance out the tone while I learn the technique. I've wanted an archtop for a couple years now, so I'm gonna stick with it for a bit. A gypsy jazz guitar might be more up my ally, but I'm gonna stick with this for a while. By the way, I play rhythm, which is probably why I prefer the flatwounds
I currently use bronze roundwound 12s or 13s on all of my vintage acoustic archtops (for acoustic playing), I like 80/20s.

Another aspect which is often overlooked: those acoustic archtops were designed to project all tonal energy to the front. When you are sitting "behind" the box as the player an archtop can often sound somewhat thin in your ears, because the sound is mostly thrown out to the front. In other words: The true sound of an unamplified archtop can only be heard from the front where the audience is placed.

Flattops are usually different in this respect - you can hear it better as player because the sound projects somewhat more omnidirectional.

Felix