View Single Post
Old 12-27-2001, 09:19 AM

tbondohhhhhthat'saprettyguitar,

in the spirit of the Taylor warranty cards they advertise on ebay, my big Christmas present - the coupon/gift certificate for the radiator flush - is not signed nor turned in....

if you are interested in a Christmas gift exchange.....

back to this...and again...apologies for what is a really simple little concept getting dragged out for way too long.....

want to make sure you understand the underlying structure of what's going on....the inquiring mind is good...what you were asking about the steps makes all the difference in the world......

if you were to see a C major triad written in TAB such as

xxx553 you don't want to just 'see' a root, 3rd, and 5th...you'd also like to be able to 'see' all the 'juicy' (now that's a good word!) stuff that lies within and about that triad...

you want to be able to 'see' the shapes of thirds across strings 3 and 2

you want to be able to 'see' the shapes of thirds across strings 2 and 1

you want to be able to 'see' the shapes of the 6ths that result from dropping or inverting either one of those 3rds...

you want to be able to 'see' how all those intervals lie within whatever relevant scales might be involved with the music at the given moment.....whether the basic (but juicy!)major pent, minor pent, mixolydian, some hybrid, some more advanced non-diatonic application of superimposing a triad to create altered tones requiring resolution or WHATEVER

you want it to happen instantly and effortlessly, too....this musical stuff on the fretboard needs to 'light up' and be instantly at your disposal...or your 'knowledge' PROBABLY isn't going to be too too helpful to your actual playing...might actually get in the way of your playing..

I have to take back my offer to exchange gifts...

Looks like I'm off to the garage...

and this gets dragged on some more....
Indeed, there is something in the current DC/NY culture that equates a lack of unthinking boosterism with a lack of patriotism. As if not being drunk on the latest Dow gains is somehow un-American. - Arianna Huffington May 11, 2009