View Single Post
Old 10-28-2018, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krugjr View Post
sdelsolray.....thanks for response.....I'm assuming the equipment your talking about would be the H5 itself (where the tracks are recorded) and not the DAW?

Doug
Not necessarily. Latency occurs in all digital recording systems, even the most expensive ones. I raised the subject just to give you information about this issue, which boils down to (i) amount of latency and (ii) how to eliminate it in your final mixed recording.

If your interface is the H5, connecting that to a computer and then using a DAW that is on the computer, all I said above remains. The H5 does have a "direct monitoring" option which compensates for tracking/recording latency when overdubbing (but only for what you hear in the headphones and not for the timing of the creation of the second track on the disk), and it does not compensate for playback/monitoring latency from playback of the original track. As to the DAW, it will have a software buffer which adds latency (other latency comes from the A/D and D/A conversion process and disk access in your H5).

Quote:
Originally Posted by krugjr View Post
so does the H5 take care of this while overdubbing or will I be doing this "lining up the tracks" that you speak of?

Doug
No, the H5 will not compensate. Lining up the tracks will still need to be done. Keep in mind that this only applies when you are recording more than one track at different times. If you are recording all tracks at the same time, latency becomes not relevant to the final mix, although it can remain if you are listening through headphones when recording.

Last edited by sdelsolray; 10-28-2018 at 02:08 PM.