View Single Post
Old 09-24-2014, 02:49 PM

Default Value of 1972 Yamaha GC-6D with Toshio Kato signature?

I've gotten an offer of $725 to buy my 1972 Yamaha GC-6D guitar with OHSC in good condition (maybe bordering on great, cosmetic issues only, not a lot of playing time for a 42 year old guitar). I'm a hobbyist, not a performer, so I don't "need" a concert grade guitar. I have a cheaper guitar I keep out (in case the kids knock it over) and I invariably play that instead of digging out the "nicer" guitar, and it's fine for my purposes (Yamaha G255S).

Anyway, the GC-6D has Japanese characters which match up to what I'm told is Toshio Kato's signature, and I've read that may add value to these guitars. Some threads people talk about his early signed Yamahas being worth $4k or more (though I do understand the 6D was one of the lower end of the concert-grade hand-made guitars of its time, so maybe it's not that high, but still over $725).

Or maybe those posters were dreaming and $725 is good for this guitar. I've also read how with high end woods being more scarce, these older guitars with excellent woods are likely to be in high demand (and it would cost more to buy a new guitar with similar quality woods), so part of me wonders if I should hang onto this as an heirloom piece... I guess any opinions on that would be welcome, too.

Thanks,
krm27