View Single Post
Old 11-06-2015, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonius View Post
Emerald X20... WW!!! The bevel, the cool head-stock, the 24 fret neck, the amazing woody options AND... the price. I have not checked on Emerald for years. They have certainly upped their game. The guitar just makes so much sense to me. I'd prefer 4.5 depth but I can do 4.75. Am I right that this is about a Grand Auditorium size or more of a Grand Concert? The lower bout is not very big, but the depth is more like a dread. Do you get good bass out of these X20's??

The X20 is a total work of art, and one of the bargains of the CF world!

More like Grand Concert size.

I don't think you'll notice the difference between 4.5" and the X20's 4.75" especially with the curves. It's comfy!

The 24 fret neck...honestly, I can see some flash guys (and/or people more talented than I) using 24 frets, but for me, the fretboard extends far enough to bother me a bit if I'm strumming or finger-picking further from the bridge, leading me to play a bit closer to the bridge than I prefer.

I'd describe the bass as tight, snappy...not boomy or thumpy. The overall tone is very open, but the notes are harder / more immediate (as opposed to blooming)...someone once said piano-like, which might be right. I can't front: if you want warm tone with thumping bass, I'd look into a larger-bodied hybrid Rainsong. But if you're on-board for the total non-traditional experience, there's nothing out there like the X20!