View Single Post
Old 06-26-2015, 09:10 AM

Default Cigar Box Guitar Help

So, I current use 1/4" size guitar for my travel/hiking guitar. It sounds alright (nylon strings), but honestly I usually just play it to play something... not for it's sound.

So, considering I don't care much for the tone (though loud enough to hear acoustically), I thought... how hard could it be to make my own guitar with a longer scale (23") and lighter weight? Essentially, I want an acoustic guitar that is all neck/string and little anything else. It seems to me that a cigar box guitar matches this best--assuming I can find a strong/lightweight cigar box, any recommendations?

Also, there seems to be two ways to go about building one.

1. The "easy' way is simply to feed the neck all the way through the cigar box. While this adds some extra weight, it's easier to attach to the body securely and likely stronger. However, this means I need to create my own neck, attach fretboard/frets, nut, tuners, etc.

2. The other way would be getting a pre-made neck (used/broken small guitar like Little Martin or Squire Mini or something) and attach that to one end rather than feed through. This doesn't seem that strong (unless you can reinforce the box or use lighter gauge strings).

The options above I assume each dictate the soundhole(s) and the bridge.

Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by J.acoustic; 06-26-2015 at 09:18 AM.