Thread: New CD player?
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2021, 07:47 AM

I'd second the suggestion to go for a BluRay player, as it will also allow you to play audio BRs from 2L Recoring (www.2l.no) and possibly others using that format.

What amp do you use? If it's an AV amp with digital inputs I'd get an old or cheap MSWin computer with an HDMI output, and drive the amp via that using Foobar2000 in bit-perfect/direct (Wasapi) output and whatever software you need for the BR player (possibly just VLC?). I made that switch years ago (Onkyo amp, btw), and have been ripping my CDs over the years. I'm not kidding myself that I can hear the difference between a good quality MP4 rip and the original under normal listening circumstances so I use that to keep the library size manageable on older hardware.

That aside, I'm partial to the NAD brand and wouldn't hesitate to get another one of their CD players.

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)