View Single Post
Old 09-27-2017, 06:56 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzard View Post
I tooling up fo an electric line. I need to find an accurate, affordable, and durable thickness sander. This will be solid/chamberd electrics.

Any help?

Chris
"Affordable" can only be defined by you and it depends on your budget and how fast you want to remove wood. I started out with a Performax 16-32 which I still own. As previously said, drum sanders are painfully slow and will get the job done (if) time is on your side? Another downside is the drum turns too fast and generates a lot of surface heat, which burns some wood. If you are working with oily and resinous woods then the resins will QUICKLY load up your sand paper and aggravate the issue. Therefore, you will need to change sand paper quite often, which can be expensive and a pain in the keester.

After I got fed up with my drum sander, I took the plunge and bought a Grizzly 18" wide belt sander. Wow, what a world of difference a wide belt sander makes. What took 30 minutes to sand on the drum sander, takes 2 minutes on the wide belt sander. The wide belts don't load up with resin and you can take much more aggressive cuts to remove wood. Wide belt sanders are not inexpensive but as they say, time is money. Only you can decide which one you can justify.