Thread: killing mold
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2007, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by molpie View Post
Hi all. I'd love some advice. My brother gave me a guitar that's been sitting in his basement and has mold on it - most notably inside (white circles). I've read about various ways to neutralize the moldy odor (think I'll try baking soda), but would like to also be able to kill/remove the mold due to allergy concerns. One thing I was told is to take fine steel wool to the inside and the fingerboard, and then to rub it down with boiled linseed oil. Being a complete novice in the guitar arena, I thought I'd seek additional opinions.

I've brought the instrument to a dry climate which should help stop the further growth of nasties, but have I already introduced spores into my home simply by bringing in this instrument (and its rank-smelling soft case)?

Any thoughts on this would be most welcome...

Thank you!
Hi Molpie...
First of all, welcome to the group. There are amazing folks around here. We are glad you are on board.

Perhaps one of our luthiers will chime in. They are more conversant with the workings of these babies than we. As for me, I don't have a clue. The only mold we ever see is on an occasional orange or piece of cheese (we live in semi-arid country). Sorry to not be of more help.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…