View Single Post
Old 08-17-2015, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
While the argument can be made...as you did..that great recording can be made with the cheapest of mics..(my professional engineer friend says he has two thousand dollar mics for guitars..but he can use Sm57's and get a great sound)
To be clear, I didn't really mean to make that argument here. I do think you can make pretty good recordings with "lesser" mics, but I was assuming in my response that you'd pick something in your budget range. $1000 worth of mics (2x$500) is plenty for a home recording setup, and even for many pro studios. The 4033's are nice, I know of Grammy-nominated recordings made with those. As others have said, a pair of small condenser's is typical. You might find a pair of KM184s for $1000 used, as well as many other common mics. Also check with sdelsolrey about the Gefell's he had for sale recently. People have already listed a number of mics here, any of them that fall into that price range will be fine.

At the risk of repeating myself and others, the key to capturing those beautiful sounds is mic placement, room acoustics, mixing, and many, many, many hours of experimentation. Time spent pouring over mic specs, etc, or even trying different mics, is educational, but unless you choose some totally inappropriate mic, it won't be the mic that makes the difference in your recordings, it will be what you learn to do with it, which usually takes time, unfortunately.