View Single Post
Old 11-26-2019, 08:47 PM
Charter Member

Good stuff! I enjoy watching a great looper doing their thing. There's a local jazz/blues guy who's fascinating to watch. So entertaining. I bought a Boss RC-300 looper because I wanted to do the same. But it became very apparent that looping is a real talent in its own right. I haven't given up on it yet, but haven't put in the time to get good. I can improvise til the cows come home, but using a looper seamlessly, in time... is truly a challenge. There was a thread on TGP where a few guys were bagging on players who use looping. I would venture to guess they've never really sat down and TRIED to loop. It's hard! Even when your playing skills are more than up to the task. Punching in and out in the split millisecond of time, juggling various layers in and out, etc... it ain't easy! Some of the same guys like to bag on Ed Sheeran. Like his songwriting or not, he's crazy talented in his ability to keep an arena full of people entertained all by himself. I don't consider using a looper well to be cheating AT ALL. In fact... I've played solo guitar live on and off for decades, but haven't even begun to develop the skills to use a looper in a live format.