View Single Post
Old 06-05-2017, 07:21 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuksan View Post
That's a pretty cool idea. First time I've seen it. It definitely frees up real estate for fancy headstock inlays. I wonder what the guides through the headstock are made of. It would take some precise drilling to get the positions of the guide holes on the back of the headstock to be accurately and evenly located because of the angle.

According to this Gotoh web page http://g-gotoh.com/international/product/st31.html, with the tuners that are configured with the post on the same side of the headstock as the gear housing like in the photo above, the maximum tension is only 22 lb. So that would rule out most steel string sets. (See the second note under "Function" referring to Fig. 3 on the web page.)
I just checked the website link and although there seems to be a particular installation approach that limits the max. tension to 22 lbs., most applications allow 44 lbs. Regardless, I've had them on my all-carbon fiber Emerald Chimaera 6/12 doubleneck. Given that guitar needs 18 tuning machines, headstock weight/balance is an issue and these tuners worked great in that regard. To my knowledge, Emerald has never used them on their more conventional guitars. I don't know if it was the excessive tension of the Chimaera, but Emerald stopped using them because of some failures and have been using Gotoh 510s even though headstock weight is somewhat of an issue (apparently no complaints about that from new Chimaera owners). Although I haven't experienced a failure and tuning holds well, they do feel a little "spongy", kinda like they're at the upper threshold of their functional ability. Unless for the purpose of reducing headstock weight, although I'm sure they work well, I'd rather have more robust tuners like the 510s.

Last edited by Acousticado; 06-05-2017 at 07:27 AM.