View Single Post
Old 09-19-2011, 09:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
Steve, thanks so much for sharing your clips. Love your playing and your overall sound. You've certainly provided us with the opportunity to listen to three Cadillac (Mercedes?) recording chains.

I'm such a pain, I know, but it would be huge kick to hear these three alongside a pair of Behringer C2s into an M-Audio Fast Track Pro. You wouldn't happen to have anything like that laying around, would you <grin>?

As it is, we've got a pair of supercardioids (well, actually in between super and hyper cardioid), and two pairs of cardioids.

The MK41 low frequency rolloff starts pretty high, and is 3 dB down at 50 hz. I didn't stumble over an FR graph for the Gefell, the description talks about an LF rolloff but to my ear it has a bit more bass emphasis than the MK41 at this distance. Both sound quite similar up top, but I'm able to pick up a bit more sparkle with the MK41 when I ABX between the MK41 and the 295.

The presentation of the Josephson is quite different, the bass seems to be rolled off substantially and the treble seems lifted as well.

I'm on the road and listening through some Sennheiser PX 100s, a long way from high accuracy phones, I'm afraid, but it's what I've got.

So thanks for sharing, Steve. I hope we get to hear a lot more of your playing.

Fran
Thanks for listening, Fran. The Schoeps and Gefell mics have nearly identical FR graphs (I have actual graphs from the manufacturers for each mic). They were about a 4" difference in their placements and they were run through different preamps.

The Josephsons are interesting. They certainly need adjustment on mixdown for solo work. Take a listen the the Sample C mix I posted. I used a Focusrite Red 2 outboard eq boosting the bass and taming the treble a bit in two places, widened the stereo image a bit and added a reverb. With those tweaks it is an excellent sounding mic.

It's been some time since I compared this caliber of gear with entry level stuff. I did many experiments and comparisons years ago and with a few exceptions I determined that the entry level stuff just didn't cut it.