View Single Post
Old 07-29-2016, 06:54 AM

Here are the two archtop guitars that I've made. This one was really my first guitar, made in 2015, but I call it number two because I made a tele copy out of plywood and an old Tiesco Del Ray teardrop Vox copy when I was 16, 42 years ago now.

This one is called "Firewood Guitar", because all of the curly maple trim is from logs I took out of my firewood pile. I burned about 4 tons of curly maple that winter, and grabbed a few to resaw and see what I could do with it.

This is an experimental guitar. The top is from western red cedar that I bought long ago as a piece of decking from Home Depot. Perfectly quarter sawn, about 6" wide after trimming, and the top is four pieces wide. Fully carved per the Benedetto formula, and X braced. Neck is mahogany with a birdseye maple fretboard. The back is 2" thick solid mahogany with a 1" strip of maple added for strength, and fully chambered out so that there is a 1/2" rim and 1/2" thick back. So it's a completely hollow solid body with a carved arched top. The pickup is a neck mounted Johnny Smith type, full sized humbucker. Volume control on the curly maple finger rest. The idea was to get all of the sustain and tone of a solid body instrument, with the tone fully informed by the carved top. It worked great, it is a fantastic sounding jazz guitar with a lot of sustain and sensitivity. It's a bit heavy, though.

1946 Epiphone Zephyr electric archtop
1957 Hofner Senator archtop
1962 Gibson Melody Maker electric
1963 National Dynamic lap steel
1996 Landola jumbo
1998 Godin Artisan TC electric
1998 Epiphone SG electric
2010 GoldTone PBR-CA resonator
2015 Evans electric archtop
2016 Evans archtop