View Single Post
Old 02-16-2020, 09:54 AM

I have tried to add a little personal customization to all of my luthier built guitars. As I believe Charles said, why not. I realize that the ones that are too personal will not sell, but I don't really care, they are not intended to sell, hence the personalization, they are mine.

My last guitar I had an artist render a picture of my beautiful wife, this then went to an inlay artist (Craig Lavin) who then did a MOP inlay of the sketch on the headstock...It then went back to the original artist and she did the face details etc.

I could never be sold unless my kids do so after I am dead and at that point, I doubt that I will care too much.

I say go for it!

One more point, what is the first thing the big companies do to mark a landmark guitar? They get a fancy inlay on everything, look at Martin's 1,000,000th guitar. I believe Larry Robinson pretty much inlayed that entire guitar. Now I am not saying you have to like that, but are they not personalizing that guitar for the same reason I or maybe the OP would want to?